Eleven Foods That Are Toxic For Your Dog!
Posted on July 31 2020
Who can resist those puppy dog eyes when you’re eating at the dinner table? What if you slipped a little treat from your plate? Or if that curious little nose found its way into the food pantry?
Well, it depends on what’s in the food! It’s super important to know all about what your dog can and can’t eat — it can be a matter of life or death! That’s why we at Very Important Puppies want to give you an easy guide of toxic foods that you should know. Beware: some may be surprising!
You might be wondering: what in the world is Xylitol? Well like most ingredients that we don’t know, it appears much more in our lives than you’d think. Candy, gum, toothpaste, baked goods, and some diet foods are sweetened with xylitol. For dogs, it can cause your dog's blood sugar to drop and more seriously, can cause liver failure. Early symptoms include vomiting, lethargy, and coordination problems. Eventually, your dog may have seizures. Following symptoms, liver failure can occur within just a few days.
Yes, the fruit we all know and love! But be careful, that doesn’t mean your dog will agree! Avocados contain persin, which is totally digestible for humans, however, it may cause vomiting or diarrhea in dogs. Especially watch out if you’re also a plant parent –If you grow avocados at home, Persin is in the leaves, seed, and bark too!
This should be a no-brainer, but you’d be surprised how easy it is for dogs to find their way into a lonely glass of beer! Alcohol has the same effect on a dog’s liver and brain that it has on people. But it takes a lot less to hurt your dog. Just remember, your dog doesn’t need a social lubricant, she’s already the funniest time!
Onions and Garlic
Keep onions and garlic -- powdered, raw, cooked, or dehydrated -- away from your dog. They can kill his red blood cells, causing anemia. Eating a lot just once can cause poisoning. Look for signs like weakness, vomiting, and breathing problems.
Coffee, Tea, and Other Caffeine
If you want your dog to have a burst of high energy, take out those toys that we mentioned in another article! Not caffeine, it can kill! Watch out for coffee and tea, but especially those loose beans and grounds that may end up on the counter. Keep your dog away from cocoa, chocolate, colas, and energy drinks.
Grapes and Raisins
You may have seen owners giving grapes to dogs, but there are better treats out there. Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. And just a small amount can make a dog sick. Early symptoms can include persistent vomiting and only within a day, your poor thing will appear slow and depressed – and no one wants that.
Milk and Other Dairy Products
During these hot summer days, it’s hard to ignore those puppy eyes when you’re eating ice cream outside. Please don’t give in! Instead, give her some cold water. Milk and some dairy products can cause diarrhea and other digestive problems for your pup, including food allergies. Keep an eye out if your pup is itching, it may be an early sign!
I know we love it with desserts, but keep your dog away! Just six macadamia nuts can give a dog muscle shakes, vomiting, high temperature, and weakness in his back legs. If the nuts were in chocolate, as it popularly is, eating can lead to death.
Most people know that chocolate is bad for dogs, but don’t know why. The problem with chocolate is theobromine. It's in all kinds of chocolate, even white chocolate. Though the most dangerous kinds are dark chocolate and unsweetened baking chocolate. Chocolate can cause a dog to vomit and have diarrhea. It can also cause heart problems.
Some people feed their dogs a "raw diet" that includes uncooked eggs. But the major veterinary medical associations don't think that's a good idea. There's the chance of food poisoning from bacteria like salmonella or E. coli. Talk to your vet if you have questions.
Sugary Foods and Drinks
Although its not toxic, it’s just a good practice to not feed your pup too much sugar. It has the same effects as it does on humans: leading to obesity, dental issues, and even diabetes.
If Your Dog Eats What She Shouldn't
No matter how careful you are, your dog might find and swallow something she shouldn't. Keep the number of your local vet, the closest emergency clinic, and the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center -- (888) 426-4435 -- where you know you can find it. And, if you think your dog has eaten something toxic, call for emergency help right away.
Eight Super Health Benefits of O...
Not only is olive oil super healthy for humans, but we at Very Important Puppies love all the health benefits olive oil can provide for your pup! V...Read More
Eleven Perfect Hypoallergenic Do...
Have you went your whole life without getting a dog because of your allergy problem? Or are you tired of the mess that your pups shedding leaves be...Read More
Eleven Foods That Are Toxic For ...
Who can resist those puppy dog eyes when you’re eating at the dinner table? What if you slipped a little treat from your plate? Or if that curious ...Read More